Monday, February 16, 2015

getting sentimental


As many Russian people of my generation (I'm 29), I first heard this song when I was a kid, and I never thought it was something special. It didn't touch me deep inside or something. But a few days ago the weirdest thing happened.

I was walking with George (4) and Alice (18 months), and Alice was eager to play on the swings, so I put her on it, and George climbed next to her and put his hand around her so that she wouldn't fall down. 

I started to swing them, and George asked to sing something (they're always asking me to sing something; any song would do, especially if it has cats in it). And I suddenly remembered this song, Winged Swings. I sang it all, and I was freaking crying as I did. George asked to sing it again, and there I was, singing again and crying again. They asked me for this song over and over (how long were they swinging? like 15-20 min at the very least), and I kept singing and crying.

Now, for those of you guys who don't speak Russian I made an attempt at translating this song. So without further ado, let me introduce you to


In the young month of April
Snow's melting in the old park
And winged swings 
Are taking off

Everything's forgotten
Heart stands still within
There's only the sky
There's only the wind
There's only joy ahead

There's only the sky
There's only the wind
There's only joy ahead

Flying higher than the trees
Knowing no limits
Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying

Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying

Childhood's going to end
Cause it's not forever
Kids are going to grow up
And fly away in all directions

But for now, we're only children
We're yet to grow and grow up
There's only the sky
There's only the wind
There's only joy ahead

Flying higher than the trees
Knowing no limits
Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying

Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying

The planet's turning faster
From the bustle of the spring
And birds are singing above us
And we're sining like the birds

Everything's forgotten
Heart stands still within
There's only the sky
There's only the wind
There's only joy ahead

Flying higher than the trees
Knowing no limits
Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying

Winged swings
Are flying, flying
Flying
.............................

You see? What is there to cry about? But as I was watching this video I got tears in my eyes again. Just look at that kid, just listen to this song.

Come on, what's going on with me? Am I going crazy? Am I getting old?











8 comments:

  1. I always liked this sng)) It's great that you've translated it, and i kind of can relate to this feeling - being touched by something from the past, even if at the time it wasn't anything special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it! But I'm touched not only because it's from the past, I think I just changed, as well as my level of perception. I can see and hear and feel much more.

    You know, in culinary you can't be a chef before you've turned 25? Some taste buds develop only after this age. You just can't appreciate certain food qualities before you're 25) I guess it could relate not only to food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be. A lot of things look really different now, when we are looking at them in the rear-view mirror.

      Really? Never knew about the taste buds, but that explains why i'm so obsessed with tasty food now - i swear, to me a good meal makes up for almost everything exept a bad comany)) Guess now it's just a different level of pleasure)

      Delete
    2. Is it only about food? Or is there anything else you just couldn't and wouldn't understand and feel before, which you completely get now?

      Delete
    3. that depends on what me we are talking about)) At 16 I didn't get a lot of what feels fundamental now))

      Delete
    4. have you watched the video of this song? I just did it again today. That purity and innocence and some true, deep, beautiful idea of childhood is what gets me, I think. I LONG FOR that in my life. That feeling that makes me cry when I look at that kid in the video and listen to him singing.

      Delete
  3. The older you get the better and more sensitive you become, at least that's what I've observed in my life (I'm 47 now). Your post and story are beautiful. Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is something to look forward to. A beautiful perspective

      Delete