Saturday, April 11, 2015

i have to do something about my internet time


I meant to post every day.

I also meant to do something scrapbooking-related every day.

I've never, ever managed to do that.

I'd normally come up with an excuse that I don't have enough free time -- a baby and a toddler, you know. But it's just not true. Every day I get at least some free time -- like when the kids are sleeping. A few hours a day! It's more than enough to write a blog post or make a layout. So, I do have the time. I also do have the wish (I pretty much like writing blog posts, let alone scrapbooking). Why don't I do it all then?

The answer is simple. When the kids go to sleep I sit down to my laptop and check my email. Then I check my favorite blogs. Before I know it, I've already spent at least an hour in the internet, and all my energy went there. Honestly, it might be completely different for other people, but after I've spent an hour mindlessly browsing the internet I can't do anything else. I can't make myself get to work, even if this work is what I love doing most of all in the world. I just don't have the energy. It slips away somewhere between all those open tabs.

So, I've come up with a strategy to turn it all around. From now on, whenever I have some free time, I'm going to:


1. Make a cup of tea (I hope it'll help me to get through all the work, and I also want it to become some sort of a ritual, a trigger, a simple reminder that I'm going to do things differently now).

2. Do the work first. Write that blog post. Do some scrapbooking. And then have some time of mindless internet browsing. And then, maybe, do some scrapbooking again.

Today it worked! The kids went to sleep, I made myself a cup of tea, opened the laptop and wrote this post. Yay!

But of course I know that one day means nothing. The reason I decided to write it all out is I want all of you guys to be my accountability team. I'm much more likely to keep this new habit if I make it public.

And just for now --


Cheers! I'm off to do some scrapbooking.






No comments:

Post a Comment